Dreamhost is a renowned hosting company that has over 400,000 customers and hosts about 1.5 million sites. This hosting company provides users with a range of features to meet both personal and business web hosting requirements. Dreamhost was started by students from Claremont College, California in 1996.
They provide you with a virtual private server (VPS), shared hosting, cloud and dedicated hosting plans. This makes it easy for you to have a range of web hosting options to help you create beautiful websites.
Despite the great plans offered by Dreamhost, most people who are starting out on their first website might not consider it an excellent choice for a web hosting provider.
The reason it is not popular among beginners is that Dreamhost plans are not as affordable as shared hosting plans offered by other web hosting companies in the market.
People creating their first website might not find it reasonable to spend relatively more money on hosting since their website is still new and they are not guaranteed of generating income from the website.
Table Of Contents
- 1. Getting Started with Dreamhost Web Hosting
- 2. Dreamhost Web Hosting Plans
- 3. Features of DreamHost Web Hosting
- 4. Pros of DreamHost
- 5. Cons of DreamHost
1 Getting Started with Dreamhost Web Hosting
To get started with Dreamhost, you need to visit their website and create an account. You are required to fill in your details which include your name, a username of your choice and a password. Creating an account with Dreamhost is free. After you have created an account, you can log into your account and purchase a hosting plan of your choice.
However, before you can choose a hosting plan, it is important for you to read through their terms of service to ensure that you are aware of what to expect from the hosting company.
When you purchase a shared hosting plan from Dreamhost, you will get a domain name for free. The availability of the domain may vary from a few minutes to 2 days.
The varying time length that is taken to set up your domain is because the setup is categorized under DreamHost’s Fraud Prevention System. You can also purchase a domain from Dreamhost like any other domain registrar. To buy your preferred domain, you should navigate to the domain section and search the domain you wish to register.
Setting your account on Dreamhost is an easy process that does not require you to have any technical skills. Dreamhost has a custom control panel that can be confusing for people who have not used a cPanel before.
For users who want to use DreamPress, they will have WordPress installed promptly making the process of creating their website easy and fast. You can now create your website to your liking, change your payment method or upgrade your hosting plan. Dreamhost gives you access to FTP to allow you to easily upload existing HTML or XML web pages.
2 Dreamhost Web Hosting Plans
DreamHost provides you with one shared hosting plan with different features based on your hosting requirements. The plan provides unlimited databases, websites, bandwidth, and storage.
The VPS, dedicated server, managed WordPress and cloud plans prices vary depending on the amount of storage, the RAM variances and the number of CPU provided. The pricing of the hosting plans may also vary depending on the number of additional platform optimization software incorporated with every account.
Below is a detailed overview of the hosting plans provided by Dreamhost:
2.1 Shared Hosting Plan and Pricing
To get started with shared hosting on Dreamhost, you should begin by creating an account for shared hosting before you choose the hosting plan. The single shared hosting plan is ideal for a website owner who is looking for a LAMP server that is best for web development. The plan is capable of handling a high amount of traffic and has reliable performance.
It provides you with unlimited disk space, domains, databases, and bandwidth. This allows you to host as many websites as you wish on your hosting account. This web hosting plan is ideal for people who want to host a small website.
It is also cost-effective, and it comes with a domain name that is free for life. The shared hosting plan also provides you with free Let’s Encrypt SSL/TLS certificate for each domain you host on your shared hosting plan as well as privacy protection.
This plan provides you with the standard service that is ideal for hosting multiple websites without the need of a cPanel for server administration. For SSH support and root access, the plan provides them with each account.
2.2 DreamPress or Managed WordPress Hosting
DreamPress also referred to as managed WordPress hosting is a web hosting plan that uses a three-fold caching solution of OPcache, Varnish and Memcache together with a blend of MySQL and Nginx (LEMP) functioning under a dual VPS structure.
This hosting plan offers you free SSL/TLS certificate together with cloud and developer tools, five times speed optimization and one pre-configured WordPress installation.
DreamPress plan provides you with 30 GB SSD storage. It runs under PHP 7.0 settings and also allows you to run DreamPress using Facebook’s Hip Hop Virtual Machine (HHVM) as a substitute for PHP.
The Dreamhost platform uses two VPS servers whereby one server helps to manage the site page files while the other server is used for the database. The plan includes pre-installed Git for each version and WP-CLI for the management of the CMS.
DreamPress utilizes dynamic auto-scaling of server memory to ensure that the platform spontaneously devotes more RAM for the processing needs when traffic increases on your site.
This feature ensures reliable performance for high-traffic WordPress websites that you add to your hosting plan. The feature is cost-effective for users with multiple sites but can be expensive for users with a single site.
2.3 Cloud Computing Hosting Plans or DreamCompute
DreamCompute is a hosting plan that is similar to Google’s Compute Engine functioning as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). This plan allows you to run Windows server, BSD as well as Linux. You can also use PostgreSQL, MongoDB or MySQL databases to develop your applications.
The plan also allows you to use different programming languages such as Node.js, Java, ASP.net, Python, Perl, Ruby and Rails. With this hosting plan, you can use any operating system, programming language or database.
It is available at a price range of $4.50 to $96 monthly based on the amount of RAM and CPU provided for the package.
- Cloud Computing Semisonic plan: This hosting plan is like a low-end VPS plan that provides you with 1 vCPU, 80 GB SSD + 100 GB block storage, unlimited bandwidth, and 512 MB RAM. This plan is ideal for use in the Internet of Things (IoT) as well as gathering and storing information from low bandwidth sources such as APIs.
- Cloud Computing Subsonic: This plan allows users to use DreamCompute as a functioning web server for regular hosting purposes. It provides you with 80 GB SSD + 100 GB block storage, 1 vCPU, unlimited bandwidth and 1 GB RAM. It is a very flexible plan that allows you to create custom-coded applications that can be used for both web and mobile devices using different developer structures that are not available on other hosting plans.
- Cloud Computing Supersonic Plan: This plan is a VPS only which works with a divergent virtualization structure that is used by the DreamHost managed VPS plans. It provides you with unlimited bandwidth, 2 GB RAM, 1 vCPU and 80 GB SSD + 100 GB block storage. It allows you to install the database, programming language and operating system of your choice to ensure you have a custom remote setting.
- Cloud Computing Lightspeed Plan: This hosting plan is intended for resilient database provision in application improvement. It provides a dual-core server with 4 GB of RAM at a price of $24 monthly. This is more affordable compared to most equivalent VPS plans. It provides you with 2 vCPU, 80 GB SSD + 100 GB block storage, 4 GB RAM, and unlimited bandwidth.
- Cloud Computing Warpseed Plan: This plan works like a quad-core CPU with 8 GB of RAM. It provides you with 8 GB RAM, 4 vCPU, unlimited bandwidth and 80 GB SSD + 100 GB block storage. It can be used for reliable hosting of intricate web and mobile applications that need custom server extensions for a procedure not provided for other web hosting accounts. This plan is provided at a price of $48 per month which is cheaper as compared to the VPS plan.
- Cloud Computing Hyperspeed: This hosting plan provides you with more RAM than what you get from the Dreamhost VPS plans. It offers you with 16 GB RAM, unlimited bandwidth, 80 GB SSD + 100 GB block storage and 8 vCPU. This plan is good for users who want to migrate currently functional applications to a less cost-effective hosting that support their resources and traffic. It can be used together with DreamHost’s cloud storage facilities through API.
The DreamCompute plans have some drawbacks, one being that Dreamhost does not plan to offer unlimited bandwidth for the account after the first consumer launch period thus the rates might increase anytime in the future. Another drawback is that these hosting plans do not provide IPv4 and IPv6 dedicated IP addresses for each virtual server request.
2.4 Cloud Storage Plans/DreamObjects Bulk-rate Cloud Storage
This plan is similar to Amazon’s S3 platform that utilizes lower performance servers to hold large data archives online at affordable prices for publishers. The plan uses the same API as AWS S3 to allow developers to interchange the two services while programming new cloud applications.
The DreamObjects service is advertised as a remote backup plan ideal for users who want to store data such as music, videos, personal photos as well as software files online just like in Google Drive or Dropbox.
It makes it easy for you to ensure that important files are safely stored and can easily be accessed using any device and from any location.
- DreamObjects 40 GB: This plan offers you 40 GB open source, fully scalable storage + DreamSpeed CDN and S3 compatibility. The ability to provide you with 40GB remote storage drive at less than one dollar in a month makes this plan exceptional. It is a great choice for people who are looking for storage space to backup their website files for archival reasons.
- DreamObjects 200 GB: This plan is compatible with applications such as CrossFTP, Dropshare, ExpanDrive, ShareX, Transmit iOS, CloudBerry, AWS CLI and GoodSync among others. It provides you with 200 GB open source, fully scalable storage + DreamSpeed CDN and S3 compatibility.
- DreamObjects 1 TB: This plan provides you with 1 TB open source, fully scalable storage + DreamSpeed CDN and S3 compatibility. You get 1 TB storage space at only $19.95 per month which is cheap compared to Apple’s iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive. This makes it easy for your business to manage different files.
- DreamObjects 2 TB: The plan offers you 2 TB open source storage space, fully scalable storage + DreamSpeed CDN and S3 compatibility.
- DreamObjects 20 TB: The hosting plan costs $299.95 per month and provides you with 20 TB open source, fully scalable storage + DreamSpeed CDN and S3 compatibility. This plan is only ideal for people that deal with applications with big data and is not reasonable for small businesses or start-up businesses.
The hosting plans provide you with high performance and flexibility but are expensive compared to other similar services offered by other providers.
They support AWS S3 API, and many third-party applications, making it easier for users to find a solution that best suits their requirements.
2.5 VPS Hosting Plans
These hosting plans are founded on the Linux-VServer platform for virtualization to ensure secured CPU and RAM resources for improved safety and performance. The plans run on Ubuntu Linux version 12.04 LTS which comprises of 5 years of programmed security updates for the operating system. The plans also allow you to use Nginx (LEMP) for site hosting instead of Apache server (LAMP).
You can turn on this feature using the snapshots in the VPS control panel. They include platform integration of Phusion Passenger for supporting XCache as an open code-based PHP accelerator as well as to ensure improved performance of server optimization.
These plans let you host unlimited domains and provide you with unlimited bandwidth, email, MySQL databases and FTP for each VPS account.
Here is detailed information about each VPS hosting plan:
- VPS Hosting Starter: It is a great plan for users with hosting needs that have less than 2.5 million visitors per month and does not have numerous database concentrated web applications. It provides you with Ubuntu + Unlimited domains, 30GB SSD storage, 1GB RAM, email accounts, FTP, bandwidth and MySQL databases. It also provides free SSL/TLS certificates for each domain.
- VPS Hosting Popular: Just as the name suggests, it is a popular Dreamhost VPS plan that is intended for single CMS sites that require a hosting upgrade to get more resources than those provided in shared hosting. It provides you with about six times the server resources provided on shared hosting plans. It lets you optimize your websites using PHP, Phusion Passenger and Nginx. However, you might require the assistance of an experienced developer to achieve this. The plan offers 60GB SSD storage, 2GB RAM, bandwidth, FTP, MySQL databases, email accounts and Ubuntu + Unlimited domains.
- VPS Hosting Go Big: It offers you 12 times the RAM provided by most shared hosting plans. It supports about 250 concurrent users through all hosted sites and scale to support more than 10 million page loads per month under some stipulations. The plan offers 4GB RAM, Ubuntu + Unlimited domains, 120GB SSD storage, bandwidth, email accounts, FTP and MySQL databases.
- VPS Hosting Maximum: This plan offers pre-installed Nginx, Phusion Passenger, and XCache options to make it easier for you to optimize websites under the managed VPS structure. It provides 8GB RAM, MySQL databases, 240GB SSD storage, FTP, bandwidth, email accounts and Ubuntu + Unlimited domains. It provides Let’s Encrypt SSL/TLS certificates for each domain to ensure that you do not have to buy a dedicated IP address for each eCommerce store you start.
It is important to note that these plans use Linux-VServer thus you will be required to use a blend of command line tools and DreamHost’s patented administration panel for the server management.
This makes it difficult for users who want to run BSD, Windows, or other Linux operating systems other than Ubuntu. They may have to sign-up for the DreamCompute plan or consider another web hosting companies.
2.6 Dedicated Server Hosting Plans
Unlike most hosting companies that offer servers based on 4+ year old Intel chips to reduce costs for their dedicated server plans, sell cheaper preliminary plans to the public and utilize older Xeon technology, Dreamhost dedicated server plans involve the provision of innovative hardware configurations that are ideal for software development companies and start-ups that are in the IT industry.
Below are details of the dedicated server plans:
- Dedicated Server Hosting Quad-Core (4GB RAM): It offers 1TB HDD Raid-1 storage, MySQL databases, Ubuntu + Unlimited domains, bandwidth, email accounts and FTP. This plan does not provide details about the server manufacturer, breakdowns of hardware outlines on the plans and CPU speeds. This makes price comparison difficult.
- Dedicated Server Hosting Quad-Core (8GB RAM): It is a long-term contract for a dedicated server that provides HDD for high-performance web hosting. The plan provides Ubuntu + Unlimited domains, bandwidth, 1TB HDD Raid-1 storage, FTP, MySQL databases and email accounts.
- Dedicated Server Hosting Quad-Core (16GB RAM): The dedicated server plan offers 1TB HDD Raid-1 storage, MySQL databases, FTP, bandwidth, email accounts and Ubuntu + Unlimited domains at a price range of $229-$249 per month.
- Dedicated Server Hosting Twelve-Core (16GB RAM): This plan is a great choice for mobile applications and websites that need higher levels of performance. However, the SSD storage allocations are low. At a price range of $279-$299 per monthly, the plan provides 1TB HDD or 240GB SSD Raid-1 storage, FTP, Ubuntu + Unlimited domains, email accounts, bandwidth and MySQL databases.
- Dedicated Server Hosting Twelve-Core (32GB RAM): The plan offers great resources for websites or mobile applications with high traffic, cloud computing applications and multi-site portfolio hosting. It provides MySQL databases, email accounts, Ubuntu + Unlimited domains, bandwidth, 1TB HDD or 240GB SSD Raid-1 storage and FTP.
- Dedicated Server Hosting Twelve-Core (64GB RAM): This plan is similar to 200 shared hosting accounts combined into one. The plan offers about 4,000 concurrent users and over 165 million page loads per month for less than $400 monthly. It offers you 1TB HDD or 240GB SSD Raid-1 storage, MySQL databases, Ubuntu + Unlimited domains, email accounts, bandwidth, and FTP.
3 Features of DreamHost Web Hosting
In general Dreamhost web hosting is a high-quality web hosting service that is secure, has a good uptime and relatively good customer support. Let’s delve into the details of each of these features of Dreamhost web hosting.
Dreamhost provides you with SSL certificates, IP based restrictions to the control panel, SSH key fingerprints and improved user security procedures to provide protection to your account. They also claim to use a range of programs operating on the most recent patches to provide security for their servers. Dreamhost was hacked in 2012 and a number of accounts were compromised.
They asked their customers to change their password and monitor their accounts for any suspicious actions. They, however, reassured their customers that they had taken preventive measures to ensure the same thing does not occur in future.
3.2 Customer Support
DreamHost provides you with a range of options to get help from their team of experts. Users can access their Wiki service that provides information on all their technical documentation. You can get useful information and instructions on how to handle different technical problems that are likely to occur.
Users can also get assistance from their main pages that contain a number of subpages that have information on solving common problems that most users come across while using their services.
Another way that you can get assistance from Dreamhost experts is by contacting their 24/7/365 technical support personnel from the user control panel. The expert will guide you through the process of solving the problem with your hosting.
They also have live chat where you can talk to an expert in about 20 minutes. Dreamhost also provides you with customer support through a phone call on their support line to allow you to talk to an expert.
Dreamhost claims to provide 100% guaranteed uptime. Based on customers review, their uptime is about 99.99% which is very impressive. Most hosting companies claim to provide you with 100% uptime but they fail to do so.
This is however not the case. Dreamhost provides you with reliable uptime making sure that your website is online often. This help to improve conversions and the ranking of your website.
They also have a great server speed which makes it easier and faster for you to upload and download files to your website. Good server speed is not only important for improving your traffic but it also helps to better your SEO thus improving your site ranking.
4 Pros of DreamHost
- Dreamhost provides 100% guaranteed uptime that helps improve conversions and also the ranking of your website.
- It provides you with a range of options to get help from their team of experts.
- Dreamhost provides you with SSL certificates, IP based restrictions to the control panel, SSH key fingerprints and improved user security procedures to provide protection to your account.
- It is a renowned hosting company that has over 400,000 customers and hosts about 1.5 million sites.
- The hosting company provides you with a range of features to meet both personal and business web hosting requirements
- Creating an account with Dreamhost is free and does not require any skills.
5 Cons of DreamHost
- The server administration tools provided in the shared hosting plan are all custom coded by DreamHost Labs which can make it hard for some users to access.
- Dreamhost has a custom control panel that can be confusing for people who have not used a cPanel before.
- The managed WordPress hosting only allows you to host a single domain on each account.
DreamHost is a reliable web hosting company that has been in the industry for many years. They offer you a wide range of features and hosting plans which ensure that you get a plan that best suits your hosting needs.
Whether you are a small business person who wants to start their first website or you own a large business that requires numerous hosting features. Dreamhost has reliable, secure and high-performance web hosting plans for you.